'NOT LOOKING CHANGES LIVES'...
|22.08.12 @ 17.45|
1 year ago today a driver who admitted she 'didn't look' struck me down by my back wheel and ran over both my legs with front and back wheels, spitting me out she continued for some distance down the road (12mtr/40ft) finally stopping after dragging my bike along wedged underneath the car gauging a line in the tarmac. I remained conscious throughout, many don't realise the disabling effects of this...My life remains far from normal and my future career as a Yoga Teacher and Registered Exercise Professional is as yet still unknown...the driver received less than £200 in fines, 9 points on her license and was charged with 'careless!' driving...I
- had emergency surgery & spent 2 weeks in hospital
- had 10 casts over 3 weeks for multiple soft tissue injuries
- still attend hospital at the very least 5 times a week
- have RSD & severe PTSD
- after having an awful solicitor now have an amazing one
- finally have a case manager and a rehabilitation plan
- have pain every single day, occasional highs and incredible lows
BUT I haven't taken it lying down...I've tried to make changes
1. campaigning for 20mph www.20splentyforus.org.uk (goes under council scrutiny Sept. '13)
2. campainging for Road Justice with CTC, read and watch my story here : http://www.roadjustice.org.uk/category/story-types/sentencing-and-courts
3. I've met with West Mercia Police to improve road policing : http://www.roadjustice.org.uk/police-petition
4. I've raised awareness for countless road safety campaigns too and will continue to do so...
#APPCG RECOMMENDATIONS TO #GETBRITAINCYCLING ARE UNDER DEBATE IN THE HOUSE OF COMMONS 2ND SEPTEMBER JUST A FEW CLICKS TO EMAIL A TEMPLATE LETTER TO YOUR MP TO APPEAL FOR THEM TO ATTEND
Thank you to all who support these campaigns, please share them, raise awareness, lets be safer out there on our roads, 'not looking' really changes lives.