A recent Poll of 3000 people carried out by the BBC suggests
"Roads are 'too dangerous' for cyclists"
I became physically and psychologically injured whilst cycling on the road in a serious RTC August 2012 at the sole fault of the motorist. My life was stopped it was turned upside down. I am about to spend my 3rd and possibly 4th stay in hospital. Here's an insight into what happened...
LISTEN AGAIN HERE 1st - 8th July 2014: from 2.17 http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0215l7f
This completely avoidable RTC sensitized me to road safety. I am not against cycling, I am not anti motorist, I am trying to make positive change towards safer roads and an enhanced environment. which generated my research into helping to improve our roads this research led me to 2 important campaigns;
'20s Plenty Where People Live' http://www.20splentyforus.org.uk/
CTC 'Road Justice' http://www.roadjustice.org.uk
Road Justice aims to ensure that when an RTC occurs;
- Police Investigations
- Prosecution Levels
- Sentencing and Courts
An overhaul of Sentencing for driving offenses is long overdue and is currently being looked into for revision at all levels.
What can you do to help?It's time for change on our roads. Spare a few minutes to click on the CTC 'Road Justice' links below and be a part of positive change.
- Sign the Police Petition http://roadjustice.org.uk/police-petition (12500+) already have
- Report bad driving http://roadjustice.org.uk/report
- Email the Justice Minister to support appropriate sentencing http://www.ctc.org.uk/news/ctcs-sentencing-debate-sparks-call-email-justice-minister
You can also support '20s Plenty for Oswestry' by emailing the 4 Local Shropshire Councillors;
(copy and paste each address into your email)
There are a growing number of campaigns and initiatives to improve road safety and the community;
- Government Cycle to Work Initiative
- NICE & Sustainable Transport initiatives to increase active travel
- Sustrans #saferstreets
- The Times #cyclesafe manifesto
- Brake National #GO20